3.02.2010

John Carter Flynn

With a heavy heart, once again I am reminded of the frailty of life.

John Carter Flynn passed away yesterday afternoon around 4 pm. He was only 22 years old. He has a precious baby girl left behind, and many many friends and family.

He was a close friend of mine throughout Junior High and High School. I met John when I was in the sixth grade. Almost instantaneously we became good friends. I was the goody two shoes and he was the person who challenged me to just "live a little". Our friendship continued on throughout Junior High. He was a part of a group of guys that me and my girl friends were very close to. He always knew how to make me laugh. High school came and we seemed to go our separate ways. John played football and I was always there to cheer him on from the sidelines. Soon he had a serious girlfriend, and as anyone knows, there's not much room for girl/friends and girlfriends. But that was ok. We still had our inside jokes, and he always shot me a smile from across campus. Any conversation we would have between classes was always filled with laughter and us wondering how two people from such different worlds still got along.

I deactivated my facebook account last summer and with that I lost contact with John. I no longer had his cell phone number, and didn't know how sad he had become. I wish I did though. I wish I could have been there for him and let him know that he meant the world to some people. I wish I could have told him that he was a great man, and a great father. I guess some things must be left unsaid on this side of heaven.

To some people, the burden of depression reaches deep. Some don't understand the hope and joy that can come in the morning, and don't realize how many people love them. Please, seek these people out. Don't let another young life be wasted. Also, I challenge you to stand up for others who are being mistreated. Words cut deeper than anyone knows, and some words leaves scars that are hard to heal. Everyone needs a friend, so please, seek someone out who is hurting and be that friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment