11.30.2010

What I'm Reading


I just finished this book over Thanksgiving.  It's simply amazing.  I normally don't like to read Southern African American fiction, primarily because the language is pretty difficult to get used to (true southern dialect).  You get used to it pretty fast in this book though and it's definitely a page turner.  I never even realized that white families still had hired "help" in the 1960's.  After I finished this book, I was talking about it with my Grandmother and Grandfather and they began to tell me stories of their "help" when they were growing up.   It was fascinating to me.   Wonderful, Wonderful book.


This is next on my list, but I won't let myself read it until I am finished with all my coursework for this semester.  It's a love/hate relationship with me and Nicholas Sparks' books.  I love them, but someone always has to die and I'm always left depressed for several days.  Nicholas Sparks' does have an uncanny sense of writing the most incredible, you-never-saw-it-coming, love stories.  After all, who doesn't love a good love story?


Of course I had to have a Karen Kingsbury book in this list.  This is her most recent book and it stems off of an idea in a different book.  I love it when books are interrelated.  This will be an easy, quick read for some Sunday afternoon over the break.


I've read "Tuesday's with Morrie" probably 10 times at least.  Mitch Albom's writing has a way of stirring you from the inside and reassess your life's goals and desires.  Can't wait.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh The Help is one of my favorite books!!! Love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete